Reading makes a full man, conference a ready man, and writing an exact man.

Sir Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626)

Monday, December 17, 2018

Six Way Tone Paragraphs Due 12/21/18 by 11:30am


Assignment:

Write six paragraphs. Each of which exemplifies one of the following tones:

Condescending: showing or implying condescension by stooping to the level of one's inferiors, especially in a patronizing way   

Nostalgic: unhappy about being away and longing for familiar things or persons

Whimsical: playfully quaint or fanciful, esp. in an appealing and amusing way   

Sardonic:  grimly mocking or cynical   

Threatening: expressing an intention to cause somebody deliberate harm or pain

Befuddled: confused or perplexed



DO NOT TITLE EACH PARAGRAPH. I SHOULD BE ABLE TO READ YOUR INTENDED TONE WITHOUT A HINT!

Remember, tone (in writing) is conveyed by Details, Imagery, Diction, Figurative Language, and Syntax. See the examples below.



Casual tone

"The way I look at it, someone needs to start doing something about disease. What’s the big deal? People are dying. But the average person doesn’t think twice about it until it affects them. Or someone they know."

Tone: insane, nervous, and guilty

“It was A LOW, DULL, QUICK SOUND -- MUCH SUCH A SOUND AS A WATCH MAKES WHEN ENVELOPED IN COTTON. I gasped for breath, and yet the officers heard it not. I talked more quickly, more vehemently but the noise steadily increased. I arose and argued about trifles, in a high key and with violent gesticulations; but the noise steadily increased. Why WOULD they not be gone? I paced the floor to and fro with heavy strides, as if excited to fury by the observations of the men, but the noise steadily increased. O God! What COULD I do? I foamed -- I raved -- I swore! I swung the chair upon which I had been sitting, and grated it upon the boards, but the noise arose over all and continually increased. It grew louder -- louder -- louder!”

-Edgar Allen Poe’s “The Tell-Tale Heart”,

Tone: calm, peaceful

“It was very late and everyone had left the cafe except an old man who sat in the shadow the leaves of the tree made against the electric light. In the day time the street was dusty, but at night the dew settled the dust and the old man liked to sit late because he was deaf and now at night it was quiet and he felt the difference.”



–Ernest Hemingway “A Clean, Well-Lighted Place”